PreACT - Placement Test for Admission to CBHS
All ninth-grade applicants are required to take the PreACT as the placement test for admission.
- Middle schools that administer the PreACT in the 8th grade will share those scores with us for their students who apply to CBHS. Therefore, those students who will be taking the PreACT at their middle school will not take it at CBHS.
- Applicants who will not take the PreACT at their middle school must take the test here at CBHS.
The placement test at CBHS takes place on December 5. Those who miss the December 1 admissions application deadline will be scheduled for a makeup test date. To qualify for a merit-based Presidential scholarship, an applicant must test at CBHS on the primary test date or must have taken the PreACT at his middle school in December.
The PreACT is structured like the ACT and includes sections covering English, Math, Reading, and Science. Students will also be given a writing prompt and asked to write a short essay.
As stated in the application, parents must submit all psychoeducational documentation to the Admissions Office prior to December 1 if the applicant would like to receive testing accommodations (e.g. extended time).
Preparing for Success on the PreACT
- Every student is encouraged to do his very best on this examination. The results will not only be used as a part of our applicant evaluation, but they also significantly influence course placement at CBHS.
- Students must report to the testing area for room assignment no later than 7:45 a.m. on test day.
- The test will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. and will end at approximately 10:45 a.m.
- Students must bring two soft lead (No. 2) pencils. Calculators are not allowed.
- Students should get plenty of rest and eat a good breakfast prior to testing. They may dress in casual attire.